Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Questions about "nens" in stochastic parameterizaion schemes

semin

Hi, I'm WRF model newbie.

I'm running WRF model with 3 domains and I chose the physics suites named NCAR Convection-Permitting Suite.
And I added the option Stochastic parameterization schemes.

This is part of my namelist.input

Code:
 &stoch
 rand_perturb                        = 1,   1,   1,
 nens                                = 1,
 skebs                               = 1,   1,   1,
 nens                                = 1,
 /

When I run WRF with this namelist.input, it looks working.

I want to increase the number of ensemble members, and to do that I need to change the "nens" in namelist.input to 2,3,4,... each time I run the model.
and then run ./real.exe and ./wrf.exe?

And are the "nens" under "rand_perturb" different from the "nens" under "skebs"?

If I want to run the model again, can I change the namelist.input like this and then run it?

Code:
 &stoch
 rand_perturb                        = 1,   1,   1,
 nens                                = 2,
 skebs                               = 1,   1,   1,
 nens                                = 2,
 /

Hi,
Both occurrences of 'nens' you have in the namelist are the same parameter. The second one is just a duplicate entry, so you can remove it. If you need to change nens to =2, yes, you can change it and run again.

Thanks for the reply, can I change nens to =2 and skip real.exe and just run wrf.exe? Or do I need to run both?

I believe it should be okay, but just test it and look at your output to make sure it looks reasonable.