Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

the type of geographical static data

sd16121

Dear Colleague,

I would like to know which model is handled by WRF, Digital Surface Model or Digital Terrain Model (specifically Digital Elevation Model)?

Best wishes,
Stella

Stella,
I am not quite sure what you mean by 'model handled by WRF'. WRF is an independent modeling system that is driven by analysis/reanalysis data and uses various static data to describe surface features such as terrain, land use, albedo, green fraction, etc.

Stella,
I am not quite sure what you mean by 'model handled by WRF'. WRF is an independent modeling system that is driven by analysis/reanalysis data and uses various static data to describe surface features such as terrain, land use, albedo, green fraction, etc.
Sorry for the confusion. Based on your answer, it seems that WRF can show the elevation of static data? Can WRF remove the elevation for the surface of static data?

Best regards,
Stella

Stella,
I am sorry to answer late but this is because I was out of office for a while.
You are right that WRF includes terrain elevation in wrfinput and wrfout files. You can use ncview to take a quick look at the topography in your model domain. You can also change the topography heigh using tools like NCL, Python, etc.