Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Unable to generate any *.exe when compiling WPS

qwdy

Hello everyone!
I compiled WRF successfully, but I have trouble compiling WPS which no geogrid.exe, ungrib.exe, metgrid.exe were generated.I attach my configure.wps file and log.compile file below.
Actually, I found something strange in the configure.wps file which are the 'COMPRESSION_LIBS' and 'COMPRESSION_INC'.The paths followed them doesn't exist in my computer. But even though I edited them to: (as you can see ,I use WRF in COAWST, so the directory structure is different with that in the WRF manual)

COMPRESSION_LIBS = -L/home/coawst/Build_COAWST/LIBRARIES/jasper/lib -L/home/coawst/Build_COAWST/LIBRARIES/libpng/lib -L/home/coawst/Build_COAWST/LIBRARIIES/zlib/lib -ljasper -lpng -lz

COMPRESSION_INC = -I/home/coawst/Build_COAWST/LIBRARIES/jasper/include -I/home/coawst/Build_COAWST/LIBRARIES/libpng/include -I/home/coawst/Build_COAWST/LIBRARIES/zlib/include

I still got the same error. So I'm confused about two things:1)what's the real reason to the issue? 2) do I need to change the 'COMPRESSION_LIBS' and 'COMPRESSION_INC'
I'd appreciate it if somebody help me get through it.

Attachments

• configure.txt.wps
    3.3 KB · Views: 6
  • log.txt
    178.9 KB · Views: 6
Two additional files related to the Error are attached below. Anyone's help is appreciated!

Attachments

• module_stringutil.F.txt
    2.8 KB · Views: 2
  • module_stringutil.f90.txt
    2.8 KB · Views: 2
Thanks for sending those files. To answer your questions:
1)what's the real reason to the issue?

The error message in your compile log states:
Code:
gfortran  -ffree-form -O -fconvert=big-endian -frecord-marker=4 -c module_stringutil.f90 -I/home/coawst/Build_COAWST/COAWST/WPS/../WRF/external/io_netcdf -I/home/coawst/Build_COAWST/COAWST/WPS/../WRF/external/io_grib_share -I/home/coawst/Build_COAWST/COAWST/WPS/../WRF/external/io_grib1 -I/home/coawst/Build_COAWST/COAWST/WPS/../WRF/external/io_int -I/home/coawst/Build_COAWST/COAWST/WPS/../WRF/inc -I/home/coawst/Build_COAWST/LIBRARIES/netcdf/include
module_stringutil.f90:14:1:

../../ungrib/src/module_stringutil.F
Error: Invalid character in name at (1)
../../configure.wps:104: recipe for target 'module_stringutil.o' failed
make[1]: [module_stringutil.o] Error 1 (ignored)

It looks like this exact issue was addressed in this previous post (you can skip through all the correspondence to the final statement by me).

2) do I need to change the 'COMPRESSION_LIBS' and 'COMPRESSION_INC'
Yes, COMPRESSION_LIBS and COMPRESSION_INC should point the location where your jasper, libpng, and zlib libraries reside.

Hi,kwerner. I want to tell you that after cloning WPS v4.1 from GitHub to my COAWST directory, I successfully compiled WPS which generated all the *.exe! Your support means a lot, thank you. Still, I wonder why COMPRESSION_LIBS and COMPRESSION_INC are written something non-existent in the configure.wps file? Is there any solution to solve it? And one more thing, do I need to delete the original WPS file folder and rename the 'WPS_new' to 'WPS'?
Thanks again, sincerely!

Apologies for the delay. I'm so glad you were able to get past the issue and were able to compile WPS! Thank you for the update.
As for why the COMPRESSION* paths, the only explanation I have is that perhaps there is some path setting (e.g., LD_LIBRARY_PATH) that is set to that location, and that is why the configure is picking up those paths. Besides the fact that you had to modify configure.wps manually, it shouldn't be problematic in others ways (I don't think - if you get running errors, we can look into it deeper). And it does not matter what the name of your WPS directory is, so no need to change it. However, if you have an older directory you're not using, you can delete it to save space.