Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

use ERA5 data in WPS

mganjirad2020

Hello
I have seen a pdf about using ERA5 data in the WRF model.
In that instruction, the author told that we need to download two kinds of data (Pressure level and surface analysis)
as you know, there are a lot of parameters in both of them.
due to the limitation in processing, it is important to reduce the size of the final data for me. I have tried to select my boundary. but I think it really affects in size of the file if we can select just mandatory parameters.
I have seen the mandatory WPS parameter in the WRF manual but I can't recognize that parameter in the list of NCAR datasets.

I want to know is it possible to select just a number of parameters instead of all parameters.
if it's possible please tell me that list.

Attachments

• ERA5_download_instruction.pdf
    539.2 KB · Views: 48
  • Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    61.1 KB · Views: 63
  • Untitsled.png
    Untitsled.png
    38.9 KB · Views: 64
Hello
I have seen a pdf about using ERA5 data in the WRF model.
In that instruction, the author told that we need to download two kinds of data (Pressure level and surface analysis)
as you know, there are a lot of parameters in both of them.
due to the limitation in processing, it is important to reduce the size of the final data for me. I have tried to select my boundary. but I think it really affects in size of the file if we can select just mandatory parameters.
I have seen the mandatory WPS parameter in the WRF manual but I can't recognize that parameter in the list of NCAR datasets.

I want to know is it possible to select just a number of parameters instead of all parameters.
if it's possible please tell me that list.
Good morning,

So that pdf is a little bit of misinformation. Having used ERA5 before instead of using faceted browse option you want to select "Get a Subset"

From there you will be able to select a domain of your choice using an interactive map.

However, to use ERA5 you will need to download all the options available because WRF will be looking for them. However, by choosing a subset you will get a smaller package depending on the domain.

When you use Faceted Download you are getting the whole world instead of a specific domain.

Hope that helps.

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2023-02-07 07-54-40.png
    Screenshot from 2023-02-07 07-54-40.png
    526.3 KB · Views: 64
  • Screenshot from 2023-02-07 07-54-00.png
    Screenshot from 2023-02-07 07-54-00.png
    428.9 KB · Views: 59
  • Screenshot from 2023-02-07 07-53-27.png
    Screenshot from 2023-02-07 07-53-27.png
    204.5 KB · Views: 63
Thank you, William. it was useful.
Good morning,

So that pdf is a little bit of misinformation. Having used ERA5 before instead of using faceted browse option you want to select "Get a Subset"

From there you will be able to select a domain of your choice using an interactive map.

However, to use ERA5 you will need to download all the options available because WRF will be looking for them. However, by choosing a subset you will get a smaller package depending on the domain.

When you use Faceted Download you are getting the whole world instead of a specific domain.

Hope that helps.