Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

What should I do if there are too many files in the WRF file?

yanhongyi

Recently I am running WRF simulation, the simulation time is relatively long, the met_em* file as input data is one per hour, and a lot of CPU is used at the same time...

This resulted in a lot of links to met_em.d01* files in the folder where I ran WRF, and a lot of rsl.out.xxxx and rsl.error.xxxx files in the folder at the same time

This makes it cumbersome every time I use the "ls" command or want to view some files...

What I want to ask is, is there any way to avoid this problem? For example, the output rsl.out.xxxx and rsl.error.xxxx files are specified to be placed in a certain folder, and then when using the met_em* file, I can also directly tell WRF which folder these files are in, instead of using " ln -sf" command creates many links for every met_em* files. Is there such a function parameter in namelist.input?

Hi,
Unfortunately there are no simply ways to move do what you're asking for those particular files. You may be able to go in and modify the code to do so, though. However, once you've run real.exe, you can remove the met_em* files from your running directory. You can also remove the rsl* files or move them to d a different directory after you've run each executable. You don't need to hold onto those, unless you still need to look through them for any reason later. I know this isn't what you're asking about, but we do actually have an option to output the wrfout* files to a different directory. If you're interested in doing this, you can set the following in the &time_control section of the namelist.input file.
history_outname = '/path-to-directory/wrfout_d<domain>_<date>'

The "path-to-directory" should be whatever path to which you'd like to direct the files. Please do not change the syntax of "wrfout_d<domain>_<date>" This is what the model expects and the only way it will properly work.

Hi,
Unfortunately there are no simply ways to move do what you're asking for those particular files. You may be able to go in and modify the code to do so, though. However, once you've run real.exe, you can remove the met_em* files from your running directory. You can also remove the rsl* files or move them to d a different directory after you've run each executable. You don't need to hold onto those, unless you still need to look through them for any reason later. I know this isn't what you're asking about, but we do actually have an option to output the wrfout* files to a different directory. If you're interested in doing this, you can set the following in the &time_control section of the namelist.input file.
history_outname = '/path-to-directory/wrfout_d<domain>_<date>'

The "path-to-directory" should be whatever path to which you'd like to direct the files. Please do not change the syntax of "wrfout_d<domain>_<date>" This is what the model expects and the only way it will properly work.
Hi Kwerner,

I got it!
Thank you so much!