Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

WRF running very slow after new compile

mpletch1

Hello all,

I recently had to recompile WRF because the HPC environment I run WRF on had its OS updated which caused many files WRF depended on to be updated and renamed. I created a thread on this issue and it can be found here..

While I was able to successfully recompile and run WRF, it now runs very slowly and all of the files have the same size. I've attached my namelist.input, namelist.wps, and a bash script I use to run wrf.exe that selects the number of processors used to run WRF. You'll see in the namelist.input I set the history_interval_h to 6 because of slowly WRF runs (I normally have it set to history_interval = 30 for 30 minute output intervals). However, while WRF is still running, it seems that the history_interval_h does not work.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Michael

Attachments

• namelist.input
    4.4 KB · Views: 9
  • namelist.wps
    872 bytes · Views: 2
  • run_wrf.txt
    836 bytes · Views: 6
Hi Michael,
Your namelist.input looks fine. I don't think the options in this file caused the slow-run issue.
Would you please clarify your meaning that 'history_interval_h" doesn't work?
If you set "history_interval = 360, 360," did you see the same slow-run issue?

How did you compile and run WRF? Specifically, what compiler did you use?

Hi Ming,

When I set the history_interval_h to 6, the output would be created in 6-hour intervals, but WRF was still running slowly. I compiled WRF using a GCC compiler. I will say that I was able to get WRF running on another colleague's version of WRF in their directory without issue. You can close this as resolved. Thanks for your assistance!