Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Grid of emission files not recognized as lat-lon projection, causing a crash

daankivits

Dear WRF community,
For my MSc thesis research I am running WRF-CHEM with emission files I had to create myself. These emission files have the following naming convention: <wrfchemi_d01_yyyy-mm-dd_HH:MM:SS>. This particular WRF-CHEM simulation covers 24-06-2018 up to 01-01-2018, thus running for July 2018 with a few days of spin-up.

At first I chose to use the Lambert Conformal Conic projection (WRF code = 'lcc'), but I figured it would match the original flux data better if I switched to a regular latitude/longitude (WRF code = 'lat-lon').
The WRF-CHEM documentation states I should give dx,dy in the namelist.wps and namelist.input files in degrees, and upon checking the grid that WPS has created after running 'geogrid.exe' I can confirm the grid is configured correctly.
Now that I run WRF using the aforementioned emission files, an error is returned when running 'real.exe' stating the dx,dy is different between the namelist and input files:

1675432228992.png

This causes 'real.exe' to crash, here is the end of the logfile:

1675432260767.png

What could be a solution to this problem? How could I get WRF to recognize the emission files are indeed also given in a latitude/longitude grid style?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Hi,

Without knowing how you created the emission files, I don't know for sure. Either you need to reconfigure how the emission files were generated or use a tool to adjust the files attributes (e.g., nco, NCL), being careful to ensure that both your emissions and model grid are on the same projection and grid.

Jordan