Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

WPS nested domain is not visible

Deevi Prathima

Dear WRF Community,

I am running WRFV4.4.1 . In this process, I have given a test run with default namelist.wps and then ./geogrid.exe (WPS)
After this execution, I would like to see my domain(which is 2 domain) using ncl util/plotgrids_new.ncl. But in the plot, I could visualize only single domain instead of 2 domains.
I couldnt able to figure it out where I am going wrong, Here I am providing namelist.wps and screenshot of that ncl image..,Please go through it and do the needful .

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2022-12-22 19-41-56.png
    Screenshot from 2022-12-22 19-41-56.png
    139.5 KB · Views: 41
  • namelist.wps
    688 bytes · Views: 23
Dear WRF Community,

I am running WRFV4.4.1 . In this process, I have given a test run with default namelist.wps and then ./geogrid.exe (WPS)
After this execution, I would like to see my domain(which is 2 domain) using ncl util/plotgrids_new.ncl. But in the plot, I could visualize only single domain instead of 2 domains.
I couldnt able to figure it out where I am going wrong, Here I am providing namelist.wps and screenshot of that ncl image..,Please go through it and do the needful .
Which plotting software are you using?

NCL Version 6.6.2
and the command I have used to view the plot is ncl util/plotgrids_new.ncl

Also I am attaching you that script below for your kind reference..,

I would be happy to provide any further information required .

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• plotgrids_new.ncl.txt
    7.4 KB · Views: 32
Hi,
In your plotgrids_new.ncl script, you have the following 2 lines (at line 199)
Code:
wks = gsn_open_wks("pdf","file_name")
  res = True

These lines are not in the default plotgrids_new.ncl script, and with your script, I'm actually not able to run the script at all, and it runs and shows 2 domains with no problem when I use the default version. Can you remove those 2 lines and see if that makes a difference?

Hello

Yes, 1) I have tested using the default plotgrids_new.ncl script (which didnt consisted those 2 lines ) , but even then I am not able to see the 2nd domain ..!

2) Secondly, I would like to mention here is that , this above command
wks = gsn_open_wks("pdf","file_name")
res = True

It is used for saving the plot in PDF format into your directory (as in default version, there is no way to save that plot, which we could only see it on the screen--in which I found as per my knowledge) and I hope this command cannot disturb the incoming nested domain in the plot

and with your script, I'm actually not able to run the script at all

I am able to run the script, but the only problem is I am not able to see 2nd domain. And to my surprise, when I am testing with 3 domains, I could see 1st and 3rd domain; but not 2nd domain---So, here I have realised that problem might be with the Domain2

Finally, I would like to mention that , I am using Ubuntu 22.04 ; WRFV4.4.1-WPSV4.4 ; and the command to see the plot is ncl util plotgrids_new.ncl
So I would like to know, where the problem is really existing?

Thanks for considering the questions and your kind replies .. Hope I could get a solution regarding this query.

Hi,
Near the top of the plotgrids_new.ncl script, you should see
Code:
; We generate plots, but what kind do we prefer?
  type = "x11"
; type = "pdf"
; type = "ps"
; type = "ncgm"
  wks = gsn_open_wks(type,"wps_show_dom")

If you comment out the x11 type and uncomment the pdf type, you will get a pdf file of the output.

As for your ongoing issue, I am really not sure how to help with this because when I use your namelist.wps file, and the default plotgrids_new.ncl file with the command
Code:
ncl util/plotgrids_new.ncl

I am able to see domains 1 and 2 without problems. Can you show me the output when you are plotting with 3 domains and it shows domains 1 and 3 only? Please attach that namelist.wps file, as well as the plotgrids script you're using to do that. Thanks!

Hello,
I am facing the same issue with
Code:
. see the attachments.....only parent domain shown....and nest domain missing!!

Attachments

• namelist.wps.txt
    733 bytes · Views: 10
  • plotgrids_new.ncl.txt
    7.4 KB · Views: 9
  • wps_show_dom.png
    wps_show_dom.png
    58.6 KB · Views: 38
Hi,
Near the top of the plotgrids_new.ncl script, you should see
Code:
; We generate plots, but what kind do we prefer?
  type = "x11"
; type = "pdf"
; type = "ps"
; type = "ncgm"
  wks = gsn_open_wks(type,"wps_show_dom")

If you comment out the x11 type and uncomment the pdf type, you will get a pdf file of the output.

As for your ongoing issue, I am really not sure how to help with this because when I use your namelist.wps file, and the default plotgrids_new.ncl file with the command
Code:

I am able to see domains 1 and 2 without problems. Can you show me the output when you are plotting with 3 domains and it shows domains 1 and 3 only? Please attach that namelist.wps file, as well as the plotgrids script you're using to do that. Thanks!
Hello

Thanks for the reply and the idea to uncomment the type pdf .

1) I have edited the script and is attached below .
2) Here is the namelist.wps and the output of ncl plotting when I used 3 domains . Please do have a look

I hope I have provided the required details . Thanks in advance .

Attachments

• namelist.wps
    765 bytes · Views: 14
  • file_name.pdf
    28.4 KB · Views: 20
  • plotgrids_new.ncl.txt
    7.4 KB · Views: 20
@Deevi Prathima and @hbkumar
I notice that both of your plots are only in black and white, while mine has color in it. I'm not sure why that is, and it may not matter. In plotgrids_new.ncl, line 52 says
Code:
 lnres@domLineColors    = (/ "white", "Red" , "Red" , "Blue" /)

This is stating the colors for domains, starting with the nest. Since the background of your full map is white, the white outline of domain 2 is not showing up because it's also white. Can you try to change that "white" to "black" and see if that makes a difference?

I notice that both of your plots are only in black and white, while mine has color in it. I'm not sure why that is, and it may not matter. In plotgrids_new.ncl, line 52 says
Code:

This is stating the colors for domains, starting with the nest. Since the background of your full map is white, the white outline of domain 2 is not showing up because it's also white. Can you try to change that "white" to "black" and see if that makes a difference?
@kwerner yes! you are correct with this color swap option and its working. Thanks for your support.
But the main issue with me was incorrect ncl set-up and missing .hluresfile. Using the conda option for installation is best......

Hi

I have edited the code to black .. Now I am able to see the second domain

Thanks for the suggestion

And 2) Yes, the plot is in black and white ; eventhough It is showng that the .hluresfile have downloaded into my home directory,
I couldnt able to see colored background and foreground in the plot

Please do guide what needs to be done further to get required output

Code:

Attachments

• wps_show_dom.pdf
    28.4 KB · Views: 23
Hi,
I'm not actually sure what is required to get a color format. You can try posting in the NCL section of the forum to see if anyone is able to help. Otherwise, it shouldn't be a problem that your domain is in black and white to just view your domain with plotgrids.