Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

ungrib.exe w/ Intel compilers doesn't write "FILE" (Possible solution)

D

Deleted member 3607

For some reason when using Intel Compilers it is defaulting the output file name to "PFILE" instead of "FILE"

This then causes all the following commands to break because it is looking for a file that isn't there.

Environment is the same as this post for a similar error:

Attachments

• compile.wps.log
    91.9 KB · Views: 2
  • configure.wps
    3.3 KB · Views: 1
  • geogrid.log.0000
    57.1 KB · Views: 2
  • metgrid.log.0000
    10 KB · Views: 2
  • namelist.wps
    835 bytes · Views: 3
PATH
will@will-MS-7D91:~/WRF_Intel/WPS-4.4$ echo $PATH
/home/will/WRF_Intel/Libs/grib2/lib:/opt/intel/oneapi/vtune/2023.0.0/bin64:/opt/intel/oneapi/vpl/2023.0.0/bin:/opt/intel/oneapi/mpi/2021.8.0//libfabric/bin:/opt/intel/oneapi/mpi/2021.8.0//bin:/opt/intel/oneapi/mkl/2023.0.0/bin/intel64:/opt/intel/oneapi/itac/2021.8.0/bin:/opt/intel/oneapi/intelpython/latest/bin:/opt/intel/oneapi/inspector/2023.0.0/bin64:/opt/intel/oneapi/dpcpp-ct/2023.0.0/bin:/opt/intel/oneapi/dev-utilities/2021.8.0/bin:/opt/intel/oneapi/debugger/2023.0.0/gdb/intel64/bin:/opt/intel/oneapi/compiler/2023.0.0/linux/lib/oclfpga/bin:/opt/intel/oneapi/compiler/2023.0.0/linux/bin/intel64:/opt/intel/oneapi/compiler/2023.0.0/linux/bin:/opt/intel/oneapi/clck/2021.7.2/bin/intel64:/opt/intel/oneapi/advisor/2023.0.0/bin64:/home/will/WRF_Intel/miniconda3/condabin:/home/will/.local/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games:/usr/local/games:/snap/bin:/snap/bin

LD_LIBRARY_PATH
will@will-MS-7D91:~/WRF_Intel/WPS-4.4$ echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH
/home/will/WRF_Intel/Libs/grib2/lib:/home/will/WRF_Intel/Libs/NETCDF/lib:/opt/intel/oneapi/vpl/2023.0.0/lib:/opt/intel/oneapi/tbb/2021.8.0/env/../lib/intel64/gcc4.8:/opt/intel/oneapi/mpi/2021.8.0//libfabric/lib:/opt/intel/oneapi/mpi/2021.8.0//lib/release:/opt/intel/oneapi/mpi/2021.8.0//lib:/opt/intel/oneapi/mkl/2023.0.0/lib/intel64:/opt/intel/oneapi/itac/2021.8.0/slib:/opt/intel/oneapi/ipp/2021.7.0/lib/intel64:/opt/intel/oneapi/ippcp/2021.6.3/lib/intel64:/opt/intel/oneapi/ipp/2021.7.0/lib/intel64:/opt/intel/oneapi/dnnl/2023.0.0/cpu_dpcpp_gpu_dpcpp/lib:/opt/intel/oneapi/debugger/2023.0.0/gdb/intel64/lib:/opt/intel/oneapi/debugger/2023.0.0/libipt/intel64/lib:/opt/intel/oneapi/debugger/2023.0.0/dep/lib:/opt/intel/oneapi/dal/2023.0.0/lib/intel64:/opt/intel/oneapi/compiler/2023.0.0/linux/lib:/opt/intel/oneapi/compiler/2023.0.0/linux/lib/x64:/opt/intel/oneapi/compiler/2023.0.0/linux/lib/oclfpga/host/linux64/lib:/opt/intel/oneapi/compiler/2023.0.0/linux/compiler/lib/intel64_lin:/opt/intel/oneapi/ccl/2021.8.0/lib/cpu_gpu_dpcpp

The error starts in ungrib.exe here are the log files without using mpirun -np 32

As you can see it writes a PFILE not a FILE

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2023-01-06 03-48-36.png
    Screenshot from 2023-01-06 03-48-36.png
    176.2 KB · Views: 3
  • ungrib.serial.log
    24.7 KB · Views: 1
  • ungrib.log
    29.3 KB · Views: 3
  • namelist.wps
    835 bytes · Views: 2
  • geogrid.log
    57.1 KB · Views: 0
  • configure.wps
    3.3 KB · Views: 0
  • compile.wps.log
    91.9 KB · Views: 0
It appears that ungrib.exe doesn't make a second pass to change pfile to file.

Not sure how to fix this

It appears that ungrib.exe doesn't make a second pass to change pfile to file.

Not sure how to fix this

Possible solution:

Ahead of WPS programs, you for INTEL specifically, you MUST set
ulimit -s unlimited

Now why does this make ungrib work...I don't know but it is a temporary fix to the issue until NCAR comes up with a solution.

This issue is not specific to the Intel processor. Any time the ungrib program does not complete for some reason, the final "FILE" format is not written and the files remain as "PFILE." It could just be that your files are really large, but I'm not sure. Are you running ungrib serially or with parallel processing?

This issue is not specific to the Intel processor. Any time the ungrib program does not complete for some reason, the final "FILE" format is not written and the files remain as "PFILE." It could just be that your files are really large, but I'm not sure. Are you running ungrib serially or with parallel processing?
I tried it with both serial and parallel.

The solution changing the ulimit seems to fix it.

My guess is that the Intel compilers set the ulimit variable to a small value by default.

Hello, I tried ulimit -s unlimited command when ./ungrib.exe, but the output files are still PFILE (shown as directory_info.png).

I wonder if I set the unlimited command right with mpiexec command (run_ungrib.sh).

I guess it maybe ERA5 data too large, according to the previous discussion. But I really hope to solve this problem…

ungrib.log and my environment settings are also provided as attached.
I'm not sure if I should attach other files. I will upload other files as soon as possible if anyone requests.
Any response are welcome! Thank you!

Attachments

• run_ungrib.txt
    725 bytes · Views: 7
  • wrf_env.sh.txt
    964 bytes · Views: 2
  • directory_info.png
    directory_info.png
    202 KB · Views: 4
  • ungrib.log
    230 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
@f930139
You are trying to run ungrib with distributed memory processing and the ungrib program must be run serially, even if you compiled the WPS program for distributed memory processing. Only geogrid and metgrid can be run with multiple processors. The ungrib program is not completing, which is why the files are not changed from 'PFILE' to 'FILE.'

@f930139
You are trying to run ungrib with distributed memory processing and the ungrib program must be run serially, even if you compiled the WPS program for distributed memory processing. Only geogrid and metgrid can be run with multiple processors. The ungrib program is not completing, which is why the files are not changed from 'PFILE' to 'FILE.'
Thank you @kwerner :D
I would like to say something suprising! The ungrib.exe runned successfully after I downloaded ERA5 data from Copernicus (instead of RDA). I changed only the ERA5 grib files and ungrib.exe worked!
I'm not sure why but just provide some experiences.

It happen it is better you rerun again ungrib using single processor. There is nothing to do with unlimit -s etc.

I would like to say something suprising! The ungrib.exe runned successfully after I downloaded ERA5 data from Copernicus (instead of RDA). I changed only the ERA5 grib files and ungrib.exe worked!
That is great news! Thank you so much for the update.